Reporting to the Production Manager, the incumbent is responsible for supervising production operations on assigned shift in accordance with production schedules and standards that meet requirements for safety, regulatory compliance, environment, quality, customer service and cost. As part of the Plant’s leadership team, contributes to building and maintaining a culture of continuous improvement.
- Providing effective leadership and direction to hourly employees (coaching, cross-training, addressing and resolution of employee-related issues and concerns) within the framework of the Company’s policies or collective agreement ensuring consistency in dealing with employee issues;
- Accountable for packaging products to specification and customer orders; and maximizing the value and yield of the product received.
- Ensures product is handled according to good manufacturing processes, CFIA regulations and HAACP protocols and are prepared for packaging and meet Customer quality specifications.
- Ensuring that their production area is in an ‘audit-ready’ condition for impromptu audits;
- Appropriate resource allocation and time management;
- Accountable for the human resource practices and industrial relations in the department.
- Communication and an on-going reinforcement of production performance indicators/requirements (i.e. health and safety; food safety and quality, customer service, cost, etc.);
- Accountable for ensuring the Health & Safety of their employees by utilizing tools such as regular safety talks, administering first aid, prompt and detailed incident investigations and follow up on recommended corrections.
- Effective communications with CFIA and other departments.
- Minimum 3 years of lead-hand/supervisory experience;
- Post-secondary education in operations, business, transportation or warehousing preferred;
- Knowledge of CFIA & Safety regulations and competence in applying GMP and HACCP practices;
- Familiarity working in a unionized environment (experience in meat/food processing an asset);
- Able to accommodate a flexible work schedule;
- Effective communication, organization & motivation skills with a proven ability to lead & influence;
- Good command of English.