Reporting to the Director, IT Infrastructure the Network Specialist position is responsible for working within a team that is responsible for maintaining the company data centres and site infrastructure. Knowledge of virtualization, switching, routing, storage, data security, and server products from Microsoft is valued for this role.
- Monitor logs relating to issues on the host servers and act on Nagios alerts.
- Investigate and resolve issues or escalate if required. Perform OS & application patches and upgrades.
- Significant focus to learning new skills relating to the maintenance and advancing of the company’s infrastructure environment.
- Monitor and liaison with outside vendors for hardware service, application support and vendors of hardware utilized.
- Monitor network security of incoming/outgoing traffic including malware threats & possible attacks.
- Configuration of network switches, document in drawings & provide support to IT Operations staff (east & west).
- Support the IT Infrastructure team in supporting infrastructure including relevant servers, network hardware and related applications.
- Provide support to IT Operations team on Exchange, switching and security beyond their scope of knowledge.
- Work within a team as well as complete objectives independently
- Strong interpersonal skills as often the responsibility involves interaction with other staff.
- Degree in Information Technology or equivalent and 3-5 years of relevant progressive experience.
- Working knowledge of EMC SAN’s, Sophos hardware & software, VM Ware V Centre software, Citrix and Nagios monitoring software.
- Technical competence relating to Microsoft products including Exchange, SQL, DNS and Active Directory.
- Good understanding of enterprise computer operations best practices.
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and maintain industry knowledge.